Thursday, April 1, 2010

Deep breaths


So, my little girl got her heart broken this morning. Mind you she is only 10 years old. There is a boy at school that is head over heals for her. He follows her, writes her notes, chats on facebook, and gave her a ring to turn her skin gree...I mean wear. Chris and I weren't thrilled with this as he seems to need her attention and wants her to tell him she likes him, loves him, or that he's her boyfriend. We've had little talks with her about it needing to be just a friendship and that they are too young to be talking like that. Well, what can you do when he is just worshipping the ground she walks on? Since I work at school at lunchtime I've noticed she is hanging out with him instead of her best friend. I told her that although she probably likes the attention he gives her, she should never lose her girlfriend. Her friend will probably find someone else to play with if she ignores her too much longer. Well, this morning she figured out that he was on facebook chatting with her best friend asking if she, Amanda's friend, liked him. Did she like him even a little bit. Amanda read the entire thing on her friend's chat box. I was so proud of her friend for sticking up for Amanda and their friendship by saying "no way" to his flirting. Amanda, however, was crushed. Although I did a little happy dance and was glad he was on her bad list, I felt so bad that she'd had her first crush break her heart. She cried, I hugged her, then I told her it was time to be pissed off. He didn't define who she was and he made a bad choice. Then I told her guys are dumb and need attention from girls so they get stupid. Then she called him a butthead and deleted him as a friend on Facebook. Then we sat and I told her that was why I didn't want her on Facebook. Kids get into these little gossip rings, get depressed, commit suicide, all over dumb stuff that doesn't define who they are and how important they are to their family and friends. If it was like it was in my time, this never would have happened because he wouldn't have had the guts to call her and ask those things, but Facebook/texting, whatever, gives them a certain level of protection from that uncomfortable confrontation. (It's too easy for them. We had to write "notes", and frankly, most guys didn't write notes therefor ending the problem.) Next thing you know you feel like everyone is chatting about you on facebook and you feel like crap. She finally understands what I was talking about all this time, and I'm proud of the way she picked herself up and thanked her friend for being a TRUE friend to her. She also said BOYS ARE DUMB and it's nice to not have a boy bugging me all the time. Once again, I am doing a little happy dance! Sheesh! This is only going to get worse!!! Lord help us!

2 comments:

Grace and Aria said...

Hit the road, Jack! Or whatever his name is... Ah, I feel bad for Amanda, but YAY that he's history :) I love that girl!!

Rick and Terry said...

sounds like you did a great job mom. teaching the lesson of balance is vital and ditching your friends for one person is not balance. not good to have all your eggs in one basket (Eggs... get it -- special for Easter or chicken farmers).

Two thumbs up !!!