Thursday, April 9, 2009

Death Match 09 and the scam

Plastic Egg Death Match 2009. Easter Break has rendered me usless as a parent by 8pm at night. Then the Death Match begins. Even Sophie was taking cover. I knew I'd gone mad since the only thing I could think to say was, "You better not hit me!" Another was, "Don't come crying to me when you get hit in the face!"


Well, we're well on our way to the whole gig being exposed. We've gone from the Easter Bunny not being legit to the Shamrock/Leprechaun concept going up in smoke. Funny how the Tooth Fairy and Santa are still holding on. I could still hear my Mom's words echo in my head as I spoke the same words to my children. "Part of the responsibility of knowing these things aren't real is to make sure you keep playing along for those that still do believe." I had this good, sweet, parenting moment where I was able to lovingly relate my wishes to them...






Then the real conversation hit. I caught them almost blowing it with the neighbor kid and had to elevate my thoughts to a threat. "You guys still want Easter Baskets and the whole egg thing, right? If you ruin it for some other kid the Easter Bunny(pointing to myself) isn't going to play along and you'll get jack squat!" And then I stormed away. Since then we've had conversations like, "Mom? Is the Easter Bunny still going to hide eggs outside?" "Is the Easter Bunny still going to hide our baskets?" "I hope the Easter Bunny still gives us candy." Just smile and wave boys, smile and wave. Am I strange for enjoying the power I've been given as a Mom? Maybe a little sick, yes...I think my horns are showing.

1 comment:

Rick and Terry said...

Now that made me giggle (mostly in understanding -- the power of mommy. Oh yeah!!)

Enjoy