Thursday, May 6, 2010

Evan's field trip

Evan had a field trip to a local museum that requires period costumes. They take the kids back in time and show them how the people of that era would spend their days. I was in charge of laundry. I went on this field trip last year with Amanda in a rented costume that I didn't like. This year I decided to make my own. I have 2 more field trips I will use it on so I knew it was worth the effort. It didn't save me money, but I get to keep the dress and I know it fits properly. The irony of it is I never am able to make clothes that fit me well. This fits like a glove and I can't wear it beyond field trips! I guess my body shape belongs in 1895. Birthing hips(that's what my ob said when I was having my kids) and sturdy frame, yup, that's me! Evan had a great time! They learned how to make toys from that time, grind wheat berries for biscuits, do laundry with a washboard and tubs, woodworking, leather, and hand plowing. They also got to tour the house. Us parents were completely POOPED by the end of the day! Whew! I don't think living back then consisted of keeping 48 kids split up into 6 groups in line. Good thing it only lasted 1 day!


No comments: