Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Hairy Chapstick

Leave it to 5th graders to relieve a parenting issue I came across. You know that song, sung by a girl, that says, "I kissed a girl and I liked it; the taste of her cherry chapstick..." Well, my kids heard that in the car and before I could switch the station, of course, zeroed in on many questions about what it meant. Then, the next time it came on I switched it again. That wasn't before Evan said, "I think that means they are gay." I almost hit a tree! Ok, who the heck has he been talking to??? In comes the 5th grader part. One of the kids came up to me on the playground and asked if I'd heard that song, "I kissed a girl..." you know. I hesitantly said, "Ahhhh, yeah." Then he went on to tell me the new version. It goes something like this...I kissed a squirrel and I liked it; the taste of her hairy chapstick. NOW I know how I should be singing it! Then I had a flashback of riding in the front of my Grandparent's truck and camper. (Sorry Elisa, I'm throwin ya under the bus here) Picture my little cousin sitting next to me with her headphones on and a tape going. Grandma is sitting next to her peacefully riding home. Then Elisa starts singing a particular Madonna song, out loud. It goes something like this, "Like a version, touched for the very first time." Wait a minute...It was at this point Grandma stiffened, and looked my direction over Elisa's head to see if I knew about her "interpretation" of a particular word...Yeah, I did. Still makes me chuckle. I guess each generation has their "Madonna" song to deal with.

2 comments:

Grace and Aria said...

I have heard of this song, but I haven't personally heard it (thankfully.) I can't believe what Evan said! yikes. Isn't school a lovely thing? They do learn soooo much there ;) I like the squirrel version. And the story of your Grandma is funny. I can imagine the scene!! lol.

Lorna said...

I haven't heard the song either, except in soundbites! But I think you're right. Every generation has their Madonna song. I'm sure my mom was horried to here me singing Like a Version! haha! I would laugh out loud if it didn't send me into a coughing spasm!