Monday, May 4, 2009

Local living history field trip

Amanda had a field trip planned where they had to dress like early settlers in our area. We set out to get a pattern and fabric for her costume. They had to bring their lunches in baskets or pails and were asked to not bring plastic anything. We had lemonade in canning jars and everything wrapped in waxed paper. She even made me unwrap my string cheese and re wrap it in waxed paper. I pointed out that there were lots of kids with bags of chips and containers of yogurt that weren't following instructions. She just gave me the "look" as if I'd gotten the memo and was required to comply.


I was in charge of helping the kids (40 of them) make leaving dolls and button spinners. Next time I'm doing the baking or laundry! I kept trying to tell the rowdy boys that they weren't following the guidelines for how they were to act as if in 1859. Yes maam, no maam, ladies first??? Hello???

We conned grandma into helping in the baking section since her teacher didn't get enough volunteers.



Amanda said she wished it was still like it used to be in the 1800's. I said yeah, except for the whole hygiene thing. Well, maybe the long sleeve and full skirt rule too. I can already feel that I'd have been the rebel not riding side saddle and maybe rolling up my sleeves when it was 100 degrees and I had to go churn butter or water the crops or chop off a chicken head...






2 comments:

Rick and Terry said...

Excellent pictures -- looks like everyone embraced the dress code! nice job!

PS
beautiful flowers on the walkway

Grace and Aria said...

Oh, I can't wait until we do this!! Save Amanda's dress for us to borrow ;) Looks like fun. Amanda looks so cute.