Monday, December 22, 2008

BABIES!!!

We finally had baby chicks this morning!!! The kids came in screaming and couldn't wait for me to get some out for them to hold. I had to distract the mom while putting her in a new enclosure in the chicken yard and swipe them up quick before she started pecking at me. She was kind of ticked! The other girls are quite curious and circle the cage to see what the peeping is.

So far there are 4 out and 2 eggs left to go. She had 3 taken away from her by momma #1 and I cracked one open to see if there were any babies still alive as it had been quite a while since she started sitting on them. I was concerned that they were dead. That's another story and needless to say it wasn't dead. The kids got a good lesson in farm life and I felt bad. Good times, good times.

Now the kids are in heaven! Hopefully I'll get some pictures soon. I decided to let momma#2 get settled again. She was busy rearranging the bedding and trying to get everyone warm again. Hopefully they'll make another appearance this afternoon.

4 comments:

Rick and Terry said...

Contrats! Babies are cute no matter what animal variety.

I'm amazed at what you are teaching us about chicken behavior -- thanks for sharing and we'll be sure to stay tuned for the next episode of "it's a chicken life on the Thomas farm".

Lorna said...

Yippeeee! Congratulations on your new additions! Phew!

Anonymous said...

Much better color! sorry to complain! yeah babies!!

Grace and Aria said...

I need to come see them with the kids! I'm so glad all her sitting on those eggs wasn't for nothing. congrats!!