Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Get it together!

"Keeping life simple"---it seems to by my motto these past few months. With moving and becoming increasingly busy with the kids I crave simplicity around me. Take my husband's birthday get together with the family that lives close by for example. I purchased doughnuts and made some breads and muffins. It was in the morning and there wasn't much clean up beyond garbage after. This event really hit home with me about how time is passing by at a rate I can't keep up with. He turned 40. Holy cow! He was 23 when we met! That means I'm...that much closer to being 40 too! I didn't deal with 30 well so I can only imagine what 40 will be like. Throw in a minor female issue that I am keeping an eye on and it makes for feelings of a weepy, inadequate mom. With my keeping it real attitude as of late, looking at other blogs gives me even more to think about. Have you ever been checking out your regular blog list and noticed how cute they are? How creative and though provoking they are? How fun they are decorated and how many people log in and leave comments? Their houses are always cute and they do such creative things with their kids. Sheesh! My blog is full of run on sentences and pictures that I probably should have edited out laundry and mess before posting. I don't give much thought provoking or eloquent statements. I think, for the most part, I whine or question life and it's idiosyncrasies. I don't always deal with stress well, and I struggle with my self image. For the most part I think I'm pretty normal. I guess the main thing I tend to overthink is whether or not I'm doing enough, whether I'm making the best of things, and for what things I should have done better for my family. Am I truly grateful for what I have? If I was I'd not worry about these small bumps in my life. Am I trying to give my family everything I have and always trying to make their life better or am I constantly telling myself I'm tired, I'm frustrated, I need my space, I,m tired of being underappreciated? I should be thankful I am so blessed and want to make their life better because I love them. I guess it's time to make a list or something. How else will I organize my head? Secretly, I hope the blog people I visit think the same things, hope the same things, and deep down inside, whine now and then too! I guess I've always been right out there with everything my entire life. I don't hide much. I should do an AA admittance: "Hello, my name is Patty Thomas." "Hello Patty Thomas." "I whine, hate laundry, lose track of my faith on occasion, get tired of cooking, feel like a maid, dislike stress, and am tired of struggling with being overweight." The statement I will be working towards will be this one, "Hello. I love myself, pray every day, lift my stress to the Lord, love my family, serve them willingly, and try to give love to all around me." Whew! I have a lot of work to do! I better start praying first!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Patty,
This is my favorite post of your to date! I know my blog isn't one of those 'their house always looks cute' blogs, and you know I whine alot. :) I love that you keep it real. You're honest, you're a great mom, you're creative, and you love lattes...that's my kind of friend!!!!
oh yeah, thanks for making me cry earlier with the comment you left me...IN A GOOD WAY!! You are way too sweet. :)
luv ya lots,
jes

Rick and Terry said...

I love your mommy ramble. And YES I've also felt those feelings and I do believe that they are normal.

Someday your daughter is going to run across this particular blog and be so glad that you are her mom because she'll know that we are all just trying to be the best that we can possibly be and to quote the lyric of a very excellent song "perfection is my enemy" The song is by Francesca Battistelli -- My Paper Heart check it out (one of my favorite songs) I think you'll understand why it is so excellent.

Keep up with being real it is just right for you and I'd say it works.

Anonymous said...

You think too much!! Just do the best you can and forget the rest. When I went back to work when you were little I spent a year trying to keep things like when I was home all the time. Was that stupid or what. All because I thought about what other people would think. Life's too short to worry about the little stuff. Believe me it will still be there long after your family grows up. You're doing a great job. Just slow down so you can hear God. (loosely: take time to smell the roses)

Mom

Grace and Aria said...

Patty,
1st did you see Molly's post on being real? 2nd you should read Jade's recent post about being good enough. It's in the air!!

You are a wonderful mom and we would be disappointed if you didn't give it to us straight. That's not everyone's gift... it's yours and that's a good thing. We love you!! Plus you crack me up - squirrel feeder theif! Listen to your mama... good advice.

xoxo!!

Lorna said...

There's so much good stuff in this post I don't know where to begin! Keep it simple, keep it real, and know that you are loved for who you are, exactly as you are!

I love you, Sister!!! :):)