Monday, January 19, 2009

Shame, shame. Everyone knows your name!

Last week was a busy one. Actually, January has been a busy one. I've been working extra hours at school. This is a welcomed use of time as every little bit counts after the Christmas season. When I get home from school, piano lessons, girl scouts, boy scouts, etc., the last thing I want to do it household chores. These following pictures will explain.

Peanut butter pie. Yum! I made this to take down to Marcy and Sean's house for dinner on Saturday. I actually made 2. The first one was too salty. Why would it be too salty since the recipe doesn't call for salt? I grabbed the Adam's peanut butter that was unsalted. What? Who buys peanut butter that is unsalted? I added salt, mixed and poured, put in the freezer, and licked the beater. Ugh! Darnit!
This is the worst part! I had unwrapped and layered peanut butter cups on the bottom. There is no way that baby is going in the trash. We flipped it over and, with surgical precision, sliced the bottom off to remove and place these on the second pie, made with salted peanut butter and all! Marcy made her famous pepper jack stuffed burgers for dinner. Let's just say I was at the gym this morning. I might have worked off the bun...we celebrated Chris's up and coming 40th birthday and they found Chris's favorite beer that was, until recently, discontinued. It's a Double Black Stout beer made with espresso coffee. I think it is gross. We also shampoo'ed in their driveway and moved in a rug that we couldn't use anymore since we have no more hardwood floors at our new house and they have a baby that is ready to walk with lots of tile floors in her path. Boy do we know how to party!
Here is another little happy project(Bob Ross??? Anyone???) I've been doing. One of the blogs I visit had a little pattern for a coffee cozy. These go up quickly and use up scraps of my favorite Amy Bates material that I just can't bare to get rid of. I still have to sew the orange button on but you get the idea.

I have 5 made up, even though I only get one coffee at a time. I guess I'll have to give some away. Reused material scraps, don't have to use the paper sleeves on the coffee cups, can give some away, win-win-win!



We finally brought over our disassembled swing set from my parent's house. I got some more practice backing my dad's trailer down our long skinny driveway. Always fun.

We've been having unseasonably warm weather here. I'm talking the high 60's and low 70's STILL. I thought it would have only been like that for a couple of days. We're going on 2 weeks. Since I just got done watching An Inconvenient Truth, this really freaks me out. We need rain!!! It makes me anxious! Then I go outside, take a deep breath, and just LOVE being outside! It really is nice out. The plants are getting confused too.


I let my girls, and guy, out for the first time this past week. I typically don't let them out since I have a neigborhood hawk that likes to show up on occasion, but I hadn't seen him in a while. The girls just couldn't get enough scratching and eating in. They were sucking up worms and bugs like spaghetti noodles! Guess what? Within 5 minutes I saw the hawk swoop in and take up watch from the trees. So, guess who got to babysit them? There was no way they were going back in until dark, which was about an hour away. Now the neighbors probably really think I'm nuts. The big girls are probably pretty safe, but the babies and momma #1 are prime pickings!





You could hear their excitement as they clucked away. It was almost as bad as a bunch of tired moms getting out for an evening at Starbucks all giddy on caffeine.




Here is my new kitchen chicken that I got for Christmas. He keeps guard of the back yard and.........wait for it...wait for it...



This! Here it is folks. My mess. I stood back so as to not give you any virtual smell from my dirty dishes. Here is my shame. I also have shame in the form of laundry piles, shoes all over, and dust covering my shelves. I'm giving myself up, inspired by another blogger pal I check in on from time to time. She posted a photo of her mess and I thought it might force me to clean if I do the same. I just have so much OTHER stuff I would rather be doing. For example, I spent 4 hours with Amanda at a birthday party in Roseville at John's Incredible Pizza yesterday...wait, that's not something I wanted to do. See? I spend so much time running around that I get selfish and hole up doing something I want to do once I'm finally home instead of putting away laundry and cleaning up the kitchen. I think I've been pouting these past couple of weeks. It's been so nice outside and I've been in denial.






So sorry kitchen! I'll do better! Same to you laundry! I just wonder at some point if my grown children will say, "Remember when mom wouldn't clean the house and we went to school in wrinkly clothes so we could build our turkey coop that weekend in anticipation of the babies we killed and ate for Thanksgiving and then she sewed all evening and instead of feeding us a nutritious meal she fed us corn dogs and pizza bagels from the freezer for dinner because she didn't want to cook because she was almost done with her coffee cozies? And remember when she let us play XBox instead of making us go outside because she wanted to help Daddy get the swingset put where it was going to go?" Good times, good times. Ok, I think I'm ready to go clean something. Shame works wonders!







3 comments:

Anonymous said...

But do you think the extra salt kept us from eating alot of the pieces that were left after the peanut butter cups were removed and placed on the other pie?? heck no!!! It was very good! Thanks Patty!!

Lorna said...

January has been INSANE! Been off-blog for too long...

Anyhoooo...how 'bout that peanut butter pie recipe? I need a good one. The last one I made was terrible! Too thick and...blech!!

Grace and Aria said...

That was a seriously long post! one part I can remember is the mom's at Starbucks all hyped up on caffeine - lol! It's so exciting to get out.
And housework is overrated (that's why I sit here playing ;)