Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy New Year!

Happy New Year everyone! When I look back at this past year I really have to pause for the events to really sink in. It has been a year filled with triumphs and many trials. While we've had lots of stresses, it's also been filled with many relaxed and joyful occasions as well. It made my husband and I closer and our children more appreciative of their family and surroundings. It's brought me closer to my faith and given me a clearer vision of what the important things in my life are. It also reminded me of what things I've lost my grips on and what I need to refocus on in the NEW YEAR! I won't say it's a resolution thing, but more of an awareness of my goals.

The kids and I made a special New Year's Eve party for Daddy. We planned, shopped, and made Dad a special dinner at "Chez Toma's" restaurant.


We printed up a menu with our dinner and salad choices.
Our sign board had the specials. We had coconut shrimp appetizers, our special favorite house champagne, and a featured ice crem to go with dessert, which was gourmet chocolates that we picked up at a local shop in Down Town Auburn. The kids made meatballs to go with our spaghetti and mixed green salads.

Amanda was the hostess and seated Daddy, took his beverage selection for the evening, and told him he'd let him know when the rest of his party arrived.


Evan took his order and delivered his shrimp appetizer. He also said he would prepare his salad now.



The kids and I finally made it to the restaurant after all of the food was on the table. Then I had to go to the "bathroom". While I was gone the waitstaff cleaned up the table and prepared the dishes of special ice cream and chocolate truffles. When I came back from the "bathroom" we had a nice time of coloring on the paper tablecloth like they do at Macaroni Grill while eating our yummy dessert. The kids had so much fun giving dad a special evening at home. They were so polite and took it so seriously. Amanda even practiced her lines and wrote them down.
Then we watched my FAVORITE movie of all time after dinner with a nice fire in the fireplace. There is nothing like watching The Man From Snowy River after a nice meal with the most important people in my life. It was the first time I'd let Amanda watch it. She now says horses are her favorite animal. It still chokes me up when I watch that movie. I've seen it so many times! It is my sappy reminder that I would have loved to try to fit in on a ranch 150 years ago. Heck! Give me a ranch right now with horses and unlimited income to take care of it and I'd be happy. Is that too much to ask? It really makes me realize how much I miss my horse I had growing up. That was another time and place. Then I fell asleep in the chair, awaking just prior to the ball drop and the kiss from my husband welcoming in the new year. Hello 2009. Hello to another year and wishing for much health and happiness together.




3 comments:

Lorna said...

What a cool idea and such a special way to welcome the New Year! Your post really made me smile :) "Chez Toma"...sounds like a 4 star establishment to me!

Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

what a wonderful way to start the new year. :^)

Grace and Aria said...

yes, great idea with the restaurant, etc. It made me smile too! And now I need to watch that movie - I've never seen it!
Here's to a wonderful 2009.