Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Welsh Tea Cakes

One of the traditions that I was introduced to from Chris's family was making Welsh Cakes. The recipe is from Karen's Grandmother. These are a big family favorite and only the privileged get some to take home! You really can't appreciate that until you've made them, and you really can't make them until you've been shown how to make them. They are a tricky little griddle cake. I've learned over the years that you can't be bashful with the flour or they stick to the mat, and you can't add too much flour or they get dry and tough. See what I mean??? They have currants in them. When you roll them out you roll it to about the thickness of the currant. Then you cut and hope you added enough flour to the mat. Usually my first batch always sticks. It seems to be a right of passage to a successful Welsh Cake session. I use my Great Grandfather's whisky glass to cut them. It's the perfect size.


There is a system to placing, flipping, and cooling them.

I made 4 batches this year. It takes a couple of hours for each batch. Sadly, there never seems to be enough!!! Chris usually eats a batch before I even have them in containers and baggies. Evan loves them too. I like them warm from the griddle with a cup of tea. Amanda can do without them. She isn't a raisin person. I don't know where she got that from...no comments from you Mom Dolley!!! There is still time for her to grow to like them.

Why is there a hole in my Christmas tree? It seems to be missing the lower left side of it's branches.
You know, I'd post the recipe, but since you really have to be shown how to make them, I'll just leave an open invitation for a Welsh Cake lesson to any that want to sign up!!!
I think this is officially my last Christmas post for the season. On to Spring!!! It has been in the high 60's and low 70's this week. Very strange and not normal!!!


2 comments:

Grace and Aria said...

Yummmmmm! I love them and they are much appreciated. Also, it's one treat I don't have to share with anyone (although Luke ate my last one, so I might have to hide them from him in the future ;)
With a cup of tea... ahh.

Lorna said...

Yes! I am blessed to be one of the blessed who gets some!! Thank you, thank you thank you!